Saturday, November 15, 2008

WITCHDOCTORS

I love travelling as it gives me a chance to explore different people, cultures and ethnicity. I think this time, I would like to share my experience of visiting South Africa. I enjoyed my tour around Cape Town for about a week but it’s a different story in the North Province of South Africa, entirely!

The dark continent, Africa is a hotbed for witchcraft and voodoo. T he sad truth is that it is still part of life in the poorer countries. In South Africa, dark practices are still rife.

In the Northern Province, ritual murders are common. Women are often murdered and their parts of bodies are ‘harvested’ and sold on the black market as medicine. Can you imagine eating this medicine?

‘Muti’ means traditional medicine but is more often associated with murder for body parts. Witchdoctors buy these parts to make more powerful magic. Body parts obtained from children under 12 are supposed to be the most potent. Oh my God!!

The witchdoctors treat infertility and bring good luck. Do you know what are the treatments? One of the ‘finest’ examples is hands are burnt and mixed with herbs to cure patients sufferings from strokes. The body parts fetch between 500 rand for a testicle to 1,000 rand for a kidney and 2,000 rand for a heart. Desperate people living in poverty believe murder is the last resort.

Many of them believe that they are ill because they’ve been cursed. Some people who stepped on the land of North Province have disappeared without a trace( lucky me)

* Kudos to the young and pretty girl, Angeline (not her real name) for sharing all the stories with me when I was there!
~ I wrote this to share my experience, no offence! Different people, different beliefs!
~ It’s good to know that many witchdoctors use herbs ONLY for treatment than the earlier days.
~ Despite all this beliefs, South Africa is an amazing nation. Interesting places, beautiful and stunning tourist spots and their hospitality touched my heart. I will surely land my feet on the land of South Africa again if I’m given a chance!

1 comment:

Printer With Power Consumption said...

Nice shalini nice work

keep it up
this is narendra from india

http://printerwithpower.blogspot.com/2008/11/xerox-phaser-3250d.html